Manchester City U23 v Sunderland U23: Match Report

23df1a2600000578-2862372-image-a-18_1418028566885Manchester City: Grimshaw, Duhaney, Humphreys, Adarabioyo, Francis, Diallo, Diaz, Kongolo (, Fernandes, 79), Nmecha (Buckley-Richetts, 88), Boadu, Sancho (Nemane, 87)
Subs not used: Patching, Muric

Sunderland: Stryjek, J Robson, T Robson, Embleton, Brady, Ledger, Asoro (Molyneux, 77), E Robson, Gooch (Hume, 87), Maja, Greenwood
Subs not used: Casey, Talbot, Wright

Sunderland u23s fell to a 4-1 defeat at Manchester City u23s at the Academy Stadium on Friday night .

Manchester City took the lead on eight minutes as Demeaco Duhaney tapped in after a break from the home side .

Sunderland however where playing some nice football impressing the home supporters with their neat build up play as Rees Greenwood saw his shot cleared off the line .

Greenwood then thought he had levelled proceedings as Ethan Robson’s cross found Joel Asoro who couldn’t connect before the ball fell to Greenwood his shot cleared once again off the line by Cameron Humphreys.

Simon Davies City then had their second on twenty seven minutes as Lukas Nemecha turned home past the onrushing Black Cats goalkeeper Max Stryjek.

Sunderland would be made to rue their chances as Maja thought he had pulled his side back into the game as he hit a low free-kick just wide of the target .

Manchester City goalkeeper Daniel Grimshaw came to the home sides rescue just before the break as he made a superb double save first from  Asoro and then Greenwood .

Sunderland started the second half well but just couldn’t create a real goalscoring opportunity until the sixty seventh minute as Lynden Gooch pulled  a goal back as he fired his shot across Grimshaw and into the corner of the net .

A positive for the Black Cats to take from the game was this was only Gooch’s second temperance since returning from a lengthy injury .

Greenwood then had the perfect chance to equalise as he ran from deep before getting into the box only for his shot to be weak and straight at Grimshaw.

With less than fifteen minutes remaining Manchester City restored their two goal lead as as Jayden Sancho finished off a sublime move with City playing pass after pass before the shot beat Stryjek.

A concentration lapse than saw Elliot Dickman’s side go 4-1 down in the closing stages as Duhaney grabbed his second with a clinical finish from six yards out .

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s